Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Man in My Life

There is a new man in my life. His name is Charlie and he is a 4 year old Brown Tabby cat. Adam and I rescued him from a shelter last night. So far, he is pretty awesome.

We arrived at Felines Inc last night after Adam picked me up at work and informed the volunteers that we were looking for a declawed cat who needed a good home and wasn't too rambunctious. They introduced us to one cat and then took us to meet Kenny aka Charlie. Adam was a little concerned at first because Charlie was a little aggressive with the other cats. I think he was just trying to show us how tough he is. We filled out an application and asked questions and told the volunteer that we needed to think about. He told us he couldn't guarantee that Charlie would be there when we came back. We left and stood outside talking for 5 minutes. I felt so horrible leaving him there and I was so worried he would be gone when we came back. Adam told me to go back in and get him.

I rang the doorbell and told them that I couldn't leave him there. The volunteers said that is quickest anyone has ever come back. While we were waiting for them to get him ready, I started to cry. This a cat who needs to loving home and we were able to provide him with that. They gave us a bag of food, his medical records, some toys and carrier to borrow to get him home. We made a quick trip to Target to get the necessary supplies. Charlie was crying most of the way home.

When we got home, we let him out and he started exploring his new home. So far he likes all the windows. Last night we watched a movie and Charlie got all cozy between the two of us. We knew he felt at home when he started snoring. Two nights ago he was in a room with 30 other cats and last night he got a blanket and a couch all to himself.

Sleeping was a little difficult at times. Charlie doesn't understand why he can't be under the covers with us or why we don't want to pet him at 4 am. It will take a few days to establish a routine. He is using his litter box, but hasn't eaten anything yet. The shelter gave him wet and dry food. If he still hasn't eaten when I get home from work, I will probably get some wet food to try and get him to eat.

Adam is trying to act all tough, but I know he loves Charlie already. I will post some pictures as soon as I find my silly camera cord.

No comments: